Mr. Matthews spent several years working in the trial departments of some of the largest and most prestigious law firms in the U.S., including Holland & Knight, LLP and DLA Piper US LLP, representing companies in cases involving truck crashes, catastrophic injury and product liability, and business disputes.
Relying on that experience, Mr. Matthews joined forces with one of the preeminent plaintiffs’ firms in the State of Florida, prosecuting catastrophic injury and wrongful death claims through verdict. In 2013 alone, he obtained two verdicts* in excess of ten million dollars. Always striving to passionately represent his clients in seeking to maximize their recovery, Mr. Matthews formed Matthews Injury Law in 2014. In 2018, Mr. Matthews obtained one of the Top 10 Car Accident Verdicts* in the State of Florida.
Born in Bradenton and raised in Pinellas County, Mr. Matthews attended the University of Central Florida on an academic scholarship before graduating from the University of Florida College of Law with honors. Since law school, Mr. Matthews has lived and practiced law in Orlando, West Palm Beach and Tampa, Florida. Mr. Matthews previously served as a member of the national trial counsel team for an international Fortune 100 trucking company. His experience includes litigating cases throughout the State of Florida and the nation involving catastrophic trucking accidents, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, tire blowouts/rollovers, wrongful death, product liability claims, and commercial actions.
In recognition of his legal skills and ethical standards, Mr. Matthews received an AV Preeminent Rating – the highest rating given to lawyers – from Martindale Hubbell. Martindale Hubbell has been a reliable source for over 130 years for those seeking experts in the legal industry.
Mr. Matthews is admitted to practice in all of the state and federal courts throughout Florida. He has appeared in the Northern, Middle, and Southern District Courts of Florida in cases ranging from multi-million dollar business disputes to multi-million dollar insurance claims. And he has tried cases ranging from wrongful death to motor vehicle accidents to real estate property claims to breach of contract disputes. Mr. Matthews has taken cases to trial in jurisdictions ranging from Walton County to Hillsborough County to Manatee County to Orange County to Miami-Dade County. And in seeking to fully represent his clients’ best interests in pursuing the justice they deserve, Mr. Matthews has also prosecuted cases through appeal when necessary.
Mr. Matthews is a 2009 graduate of Leadership Tampa Bay. In an effort to stay involved in his community outside of work, Mr. Matthews serves on the Board of Directors of three charitable foundations – Palma Ceia Little League, Vincent Jackson’s Jackson in Action 83 Foundation, which supports military children and families, and The Ryan Nece Foundation, which strives to empower student leaders to impact giving in their communities. Mr. Matthews is the Chairman of the Board of the Ryan Nece Foundation. Mr. Matthews also supports the Sidewalk Stompers, a nonprofit committed to providing safe crosswalks and sidewalks for children trying to get to school safely. To learn more about these charitable organizations, visit our community page.
(*Verdicts are before deductions for attorneys’ fees, expenses, and comparative negligence, if any. As each case must be litigated on its own facts, past results are not indicative of future outcomes).
Awards & Distinctions
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers Association, 2012-Present
- Top 10 Trucking Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers Association
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend Magazine
- Florida Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, National Advisory Board Member
- Superb (10.0) Avvo Rating
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Life Member
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Life Member
Publications & Presentations
- Invited Speaker at the Florida Justice Association’s Hell on the Highways Seminar: Motivating the Trucking Carrier to Settle, December 2013
- Invited Speaker at the Tampa Bay Trial Lawyers Association’s (TBTLA) Trucking Law Seminar
- Invited Speaker at the National Business Institute (NBI) Seminar Truck Accident Litigation 101: Medicare Set-Aside, Negotiation and Trial Tips
- Invited Speaker at American Association for Justice (AAJ) Annual Convention: Trucking Litigation Group, How to Maximize Case Value
- Invited Speaker at the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLA) Super Summit: How to Bullet Proof Your Trucking Case for Trial
- FJA Journal, Article: Tales from the Defense – The Rise of the Negligent Selection and Hiring Claim, August/September 2011 issue
Marc Matthews, P.A. d/b/a Matthews Injury Law is Of Counsel with the firm McIntyre Thanasides Bringgold Elliott Grimaldi Guito & Matthews, P.A.