Tampa and Sarasota Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
When you are on foot, you are at your most vulnerable in relation to traffic accidents. In fact, you have nothing to protect you from the impact of an accident caused by a motorist’s negligence. A recent report highlights exactly how dangerous the State of Florida is for pedestrians. Unfortunately, Florida cities account for eight of the ten most dangerous metro areas for walking in the nation.
Specifically, Sarasota is included as the fourth most dangerous area in the entire United States for those walking, and Tampa is listed as the ninth most dangerous area in the U.S. Researchers implemented their own Pedestrian Danger Index (PDI), which measures exactly how dangerous it is for pedestrians in specific areas based on the number of pedestrians who are killed by motorists, while accounting for the percentage of the population who walk to work. At 182, Florida has the highest PDI of any state, and Alabama is a distant second with a PDI of 145.
Pedestrian injuries are all too common in Tampa and Sarasota. If you are injured, you want an aggressive pedestrian accident lawyer protecting your rights. Consult with Matthews Injury Law right away.
Pedestrian Accident FAQs
Answers to the most frequently asked questions can help you move forward with your pedestrian accident claim.
Where Are Pedestrian Accidents Most Common?
Every pedestrian accident is unique to the circumstances involved, but pedestrian accidents often take place in intersections and crosswalks when motorists fail to live up to the duty of care they owe pedestrians in their midst. Consider the following:
- Drivers who fail to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians in intersections and crosswalks
- Drivers who pass other vehicles at intersections (and fail to see one or more crossing pedestrians)
- Drivers who fail to carefully adhere to traffic signs, signals, lights, and safety rules at crosswalks.
When you’re on foot, always make safety your priority, but know you cannot prevent collisions and injuries alone.
Who Is Most Likely to Cause Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents often stem from driver negligence, which can include all of the following forms:
- Distracted drivers (who fail to pay adequate attention to the road)
- Impaired drivers (who experience delayed reaction times and a decrease in focus)
- Drowsy drivers (who experience some of the same deficiencies that impaired drivers do)
- Speeding drivers (who decrease the amount of time they have to react and increase the risk that any ensuing accidents will be serious accidents)
Driver negligence is often the cause of life-threatening pedestrian accidents, and these drivers should be held fully accountable for the physical, mental, and financial losses they cause.
An Experienced Sarasota and Tampa Pedestrian Accident Attorney Can Help
If you or someone you care about has been injured – or worse – in a pedestrian accident, the Sarasota and Tampa pedestrian accident attorneys at Matthews Injury Law are committed to tirelessly fighting for your rights and in pursuit of full justice and compensation. To learn more, please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at 813-530-1000 or 941-877-5800 today.