One of Florida's Most Dangerous Boating Areas
Boating accidents are a very common occurrence in Florida. In fact, according to the National Safe Boating Council, there were more than 679 boating accidents in Florida in 2019 that resulted in 55 deaths. This rate is high considering that boaters face less traffic and natural obstacles like drivers on the road. Recently, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reported on the top ten most dangerous areas for boating in the state, and Sarasota County made the list.
Boat accidents are more common than you think, and you can suffer life-changing injuries. If you are involved in an accident, seek help from a Sarasota boating accident lawyer right away.
Boating in Sarasota
Whether you are heading out fishing in the Gulf of Mexico or exploring Sarasota Bay on an ecotourism excursion, it is enjoyable to get around Sarasota and the coast by boat. However, a nice day on the water can quickly turn into a nightmare when a boating accident occurs. Sarasota County is one of the top ten most dangerous places in Florida to boat due to the number of accidents that happen.
In one year, 22 boating crashes happened in Sarasota County, and these accidents took place in the Gulf, in Sarasota Bay, and in other inland waters. Eight accidents resulted in injuries to at least one person, and two crashes ended with fatalities.
The following are the types of boating accidents reported that year:
- A boat colliding with a fixed object (seven crashes)
- A collision with another vessel (five crashes)
- Swamping or flooding the boat (three crashes)
- A boat colliding with a floating person or object (two crashes)
- Someone getting struck by a prop or skeg (two crashes)
- Someone falling overboard (one crash)
- A boat sinking (one crash)
- A boat running aground (one crash)
There were also different causes of crashes reported, including:
- Boat operator inattention or improper lookout (11 crashes)
- Misbehavior of an occupant or skier (two crashes)
- Inexperienced operators (two crashes)
- Mechanical failure (two crashes)
- Excessive speed (one crash)
- Equipment failure (one crash)
- Adverse weather conditions (one crash)
Many crashes happen due to the negligence of an operator, boat rental company, boat manufacturer, or another individual, and negligent parties should be liable for all of the harm that results from a crash. Injury victims should learn about their legal rights and how they can go about recovering for their losses.
If you lost a loved one in a tragic boat crash, you should discuss a possible wrongful death claim with an attorney who you can trust as soon as possible.
Have You Been Involved in a Boating Accident? Speak with a Sarasota Boating Accident Attorney
If you've been involved in a boating accident, hiring an attorney from Matthews Injury Law in Sarasota will help you build a case if your injuries were caused by no fault of your own. Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation today.