How Do I Pursue a Claim for Damage to My Vehicle?

Car with accident damage

People who are involved in a Florida car accident have the right to pursue claims for both their bodily injuries and damage to their property, which usually refers to their vehicles but can include other property damaged or lost as a result of the accident. After being involved in a car accident in Florida, it's always best to discuss your accident and injuries with a knowledgeable Tampa car accident attorney who can help ensure your rights are protected and your compensation is maximized.

Types of Claims after a Florida Car Accident

When a motor vehicle accident happens, there are two different types of claims that the involved parties can pursue.

Bodily Injury

The first is a claim for their physical injuries, for which they can receive compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. In Florida, this claim is usually paid through mandatory personal injury protection coverage (PIP). If the injuries someone suffers in a motor vehicle crash meet the "injury threshold" under Florida law, they have the right to skip out on the no-fault PIP system and file a legal claim directly against the at-fault driver. However, since Florida law doesn't require drivers to purchase bodily injury liability coverage on their auto insurance policy, the at-fault driver might not have insurance coverage to pay you what you deserve.

Property Damage

The second is a claim for damage to property, which is usually to the vehicles involved in most accidents. When filing a claim for vehicle damage, you might have several options. If you have collision coverage, you have the option to go through your own insurance carrier for the repair or replacement of your damaged vehicle. If you don't have collision coverage, you will need to pursue a claim against the liable driver's property damage liability coverage (PDL).

Property Damage Liability Coverage (PDL)

Property damage liability coverage pays for damages you could cause to other people's property in a motor vehicle crash. In Florida, by law, every insured driver must have a minimum of $10,000 in property damage liability coverage. If you are involved in an accident because of another driver's negligence, you have the option to pursue a damage claim against their PDL.

Collision Coverage

Florida law doesn't require drivers to carry collision coverage; however, it's highly recommended. If you are involved in a car accident, there's always the risk that the liable driver may be uninsured or underinsured. They may not have any PDL or enough PDL to pay for the damages to your vehicle. However, if you have collision coverage on your policy, you have the option of filing a claim with your insurance company to get your vehicle repaired or replaced.

Do You Need Help with a Car Accident Claim? Contact Our Skilled Tampa Car Accident Attorneys Today

At the Matthews Injury Law, our skilled Tampa car accident lawyers can help with bodily injury and property damage claims. We take the time to listen to your concerns and ensure the best possible outcome in your claim. Call our office today at 813-530-1000 or contact us online to schedule your no-obligation case consultation.