The Dangers of Large Trucks on Roadways in Pinellas County
On February 8, 2022, a bicyclist was killed after getting struck by a FedEx truck. The accident happened at 71st St. and 50th Ave. N. in Pinellas County. According to the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP), the 25-year-old driver of the FedEx truck was traveling north on 71st St., and the bicyclist was also traveling north just in front of the FedEx truck.
The truck driver said that the bike did not have the lights on, so he failed to notice the bicyclist right away. But he tried to avoid a crash once he noticed the bicyclist. This led to the truck rotating on the street, which was wet and slippery, and the back of the FedEx truck hitting the cyclist and another van that was traveling south on 71st St. The bicyclist, who later died at the hospital, was a 54-year-old man from the United Kingdom. The FedEx truck driver and driver of the van did not sustain any injuries from the crash.
This truck accident is just one of the many crashes that resulted in severe injuries and death.
Truck Accident Injuries Cause Very Serious Injuries
Trucks can cause more severe injuries than other motor vehicles, usually requiring several weeks to months of healing, costly treatments, and time off work. Because of their huge size, it’s common for serious truck crashes to result in deaths. Some of the most severe and, unfortunately, common injuries that truck crashes can include:
- Facial Injuries – These injuries are common in truck crashes and include injury to the eyes, which can cause blindness, and facial fractures that can lead to nerve damage.
- Multiple Broken Bones – Depending on the exact nature and extent of the fracture, a serious bone fracture can lead to permanent mobility and range of motion issues.
- Burn Injuries – Severe burns can cause permanent damage to the skin surface, tissues, muscles, and even bones. They also cause permanent scarring, nerve damage, and disfigurement.
- Spinal Cord Damage – Any damage to the spinal cord can lead to permanent and disabling injuries. You can lose feeling and function in the injury site for a long time and even develop permanent complete or partial paralysis.
- Amputations – Truck crashes can easily mangle the hands, arms, legs, and feet or cause traumatic amputations. If a limb sustains irreparable damage, surgery to remove it may be necessary.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – Truck accident victims can sustain TBIs when their head is struck during the crash. Brain injuries may involve swelling and bleeding in the brain, which can cause permanent dysfunction.
Get Legal Guidance From a Skilled Pinellas County Truck Accident Attorney Now
If you suffered injuries and associated losses in a truck crash, you can reach out to the Pinellas County truck accident attorneys to find out more about your case. Our attorneys can investigate the crash, determine fault, and establish who must be held liable for your injuries. Contact us online or give our office a call at 727-877-4301 to set up a free consultation with one of our Pinellas County truck accident attorneys now.